Ryan White CARE Act
The Ryan White Comprehensive AIDS Resources Emergency (CARE) Act is the largest federal program dedicated to providing care and treatment for people living with HIV. A key component of the public health safety net, it reaches hundreds of thousands of people every year with medical care, drugs, and support services. The CARE Act has been a huge success in reducing sickness and death from HIV disease and helping people live longer, more healthy and productive lives.
CARE Act Programs
The CARE Act serves more than half a million people every year through several programs.
- Part A provides grants to eligible metropolitan areas disproportionately affected by HIV and AIDS.
- Part B provides grants to states and territories to improve the quality, organization, and access to their HIV/AIDS health care system. Part B also funds the AIDS Drug Assistance Program, or ADAP, to provide access to HIV/AIDS medications for people who cannot afford them.
- Part C funds outpatient early intervention and ambulatory care. It also support planning grants to help organizations more effectively deliver care.
- Part D provides grants for comprehensive, family-centered care for children, youth, women, and families.
- The HIV/AIDS Dental Reimbursement Program reimburses dental schools and certain other dental education programs for uncompensated costs incurred in providing oral health treatment to people living with HIV disease.
- The Special Projects of National Significance (SPNS) Program supports the demonstration and evaluation of innovative care delivery models for hard-to-reach populations.
- The AIDS Education and Training Centers (AETC) Program funds a network of national and regional centers that provide education and training for health care providers.
The Ryan White program is due to be reauthorized in 2013.
AIDS Alliance is already gearing up to ensure that the voices of women, infants, children, youth, and families will be heard. If you would like to stay informed about the next reauthorization and learn how you can get involved, sign up here.